Nan's Nappies

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Molasses Gingersnaps and Ornaments



 
Oh my goodness!  Has it really been six weeks since I last wrote a post???  Since blogging isn't my first priority time can slip by me quickly.  My family, job as a substitute school nurse and embroidery usually take precedence over blogging.  When I do finally take the chance to blog, I get so into it, I find myself wondering why I don't make it a point to do this more often!  But then I look and six weeks have flown by.  Oh well, I'll just enjoy it when I can.  I hope you enjoy reading my blogs as much as I enjoy writing them.


Today I have a couple of new treats to share.  One is edible, and the other isn't.  The first is Molasses Gingersnaps.  My father's sister, Audrey, used to make this and I LOVED them.  I've been eating them all of my life and making them for at least 40 years.  I have used various combinations of the shortening.  Sometimes I use 3/4 cups each of Butter flavored Crisco and butter.  You do not want to use 100% butter, and you do not want to use plain Crisco.  You want butter flavored.  When I was a teenager, my dad would provide black strap molasses for me to make the cookies.  I've found molasses that calls itself black strap but it isn't like the nasty stuff my dad was able to get.  I saw nasty because it was REALLY bitter.  But it made the BEST cookies.  The more bitter the molasses, the better the flavor in the cookies. My daughter has been known to eat almost an entire cookie jar in a fairly short period of time!


Printable Version








































































































Aunt Audrey's Molasses Ginger Snaps
1/2 cup  Butter Flavored Crisco
1 cup  butter
2 cups sugar
½ cup  BlackStrap or less sweet molasses such as Grandma's Robust



2 eggs
4 cup  flour
½ tsp  salt
4 tsp  baking soda
2 tsp  cinnamon
2 tsp  ginger
1 Cream shortening, butter, sugar and molasses. Add eggs. Beat well.
2 Add dry ingredients and mix well.
3 Roll into small balls, 3/4" to 1" in diameter. Dip top of ball into sugar. Place on ungreased
cookie sheet - I use parchment paper- about 2" apart.
4 Bake at 350° for approximately 8 minutes.
Servings: 108




























































The second thing I want to share is Christmas ornaments.   I have been
stitching lace Christmas ornaments.  I can make them in any color.
They measure approximately 3" to 3.5".  They are extremely affordable at $3.50.
An added bonus is they are non-breakable!
Take a look at the ones I can stitch and see if you'd like one as a gift for a special person.






























 

































 

No comments:

Post a Comment