Nan's Nappies

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Buttermilk Oatmeal Berry Muffins

Blueberry season will soon be here again.  I still have a few quart size bags in my freezer.  I love them!  They are such an easy little berry to use in so many things.  As I made these this morning, my 3 year old granddaughter came for a visit.  She walked in and said " Oooh!  Whatcha making Nina?"  I lifted her onto the counter top so she could watch as I put in each ingredient.  Oh my goodness how I love having another grandchild  who can share the joys of baking with me!  After they were done, she, along with her little brother helped eat several of them.  They were wonderful with my morning coffee!
           


Buttermilk-Oatmeal Berry Muffins

I use the Saco Buttermilk powder but you can add 1 TBSP of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 10 minutes, and you have a wonderful and easy substitute. I didn't use the walnuts because my daughter is allergic but I'm sure they would be wonderful! I use frozen blueberries but you can use any berries that you choose.
1 1/8
cups
Old Fashioned Oatmeal
1
cup
buttermilk
1
Tbsp
vanilla extract
1
cup
flour, all purpose
1
Tbsp
baking powder
1
tsp
salt
1
tsp
cinnamon
1/2
tsp
baking soda
1/2
tsp
nutmeg
1
egg
3/4
cup
light brown sugar
1/4
cup
butter, softened
1 1/3
cup
blueberries
1
Generously butter ( I use PAM) 18 standard size muffin tins. Place on rack in center of oven . Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I did not do this. I just put the batter into cold muffin tins.
2
Blend oats, buttermilk and vanilla in a medium bowl; set aside.
3
Combine egg, and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl (I used my KitchenAid mixer) and blend well.
4
Add butter and beat for 1 minute.
5
Add buttermilk mixture and blend well,
6
Add dry ingredients and blend until flour is just incorporated; do not over mix.
7
Fold in berries. ( Since my berries are frozen I don't have to be too careful because they aren't as delicate as thawed berries)
8
Fill muffin tins 1/2 full dividing the batter equally among the 18 tins.
9
Bake until muffins are lightly browned, about 15 to 20 min. Turn out onto rack to cool.
Servings: 18
Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1/18 of a recipe (2.1 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Calories
118.74
Calories From Fat (24%)
28.96
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.29g
5%
Saturated Fat 1.86g
9%
Cholesterol 12.32mg
4%
Sodium 275.3mg
11%
Potassium 71.04mg
2%
Total Carbohydrates 20.33g
7%
Fiber 1.05g
4%
Sugar 10.76g

Protein 2.1g
4%

No comments:

Post a Comment