Nan's Nappies

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jacobean Hummingbirds

So I am a little embarrassed to say that I had to look up the meaning of Jacobean.  Here is what I found on Wikipedia.

The Jacobean style is the second phase of Renaissance architecture in England, following the Elizabethan style. It is named after King James I of England, with whose reign it is associated.

The Avid Embroiderer Blog ,www.annthegran.com,  says Jacobean is generally associated with crewel workings and often characterized by the fauna, floral and the beauty of forests. 

Once I saw the pictures I immediately realized that I had seen a lot of Jacobean work and didn't know that was the name for it!

I found these Jacobean applique' hummingbirds on Designs by JuJu.  ( www.designsbyjuju.com) and fell in love.  I had to get the collection and try it out.  These designs are definitely more time consuming than other applique' but the results are well worth the effort.  I bought a plain purple t-shirt for my first attempt .  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment