Nan's Nappies

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Spring Shirts & Murder


Where has the time gone???  I have been very busy the past couple of weeks.  I served on the jury for our county for the month of April.  The first week was easy.  I didn't have to go in!  It was Easter Week and the judges weren't scheduling many trials.  The second week, I did have to report but at the last minute the defendant pled guilty so there was no need for a jury.  The third week in April my number wasn't one of the ones that had to report.  Then the fourth week rolled around.  And it rolled right over me.  My husband and I were watching 48 Hours Mystery.  If you've never watched the show, they always talk about someone who was murdered and describe how they caught the person who did it.  I turned to my husband and said " Well at least I don't have to worry about being on a jury for a murder trial here in our county.  The chances are low."

 I reported bright and early Monday morning along with many other potential jurors.  I wasn't sure why so many were needed.  Was it a BIG case?  As my number was called, I was told to follow the group and report to Courtroom number 1.  When the judge entered we were told that it was a murder case!!  I couldn't believe it.  As the jurors were selected, I started to relax.  They had chosen 11 jurors so I was beginning to think they would get all of them before they got  to me.  Wrong.  I was juror number 12.  Then the judge asked me to be forelady!

The trial lasted 2 days.  The evidence was overwhelming.  I prayed the whole way through the trial.  I wanted to hear what God wanted me to hear and make the right decision.  As we started to deliberate. one of the jurors asked if anyone would mind if he prayed for us over this decision.  No one minded.  I was grateful.  There was really no deliberation. Everyone was in total agreement right from the beginning.  We found the man guilty of 1st degree and 2nd degree assault, 1st degree and 2nd degree murder.  I had to stand up and read the decision.  The courtroom was crowded.  As the jurors walked out of the courtroom, I spoke to the young man who had prayed and thanked him.  I didn't know the names of any of the other jurors.  I introduced myself.  As he told me his name, I realized that I know his cousins, and his uncle and aunt.  We have several friends in common. The 5th Monday was April 30th and I didn't have to report. My jury duty is over until the next time I'm called.

Now onto much more pleasant things like spring and bunnies and grandchildren!






These cute little shirts are being modeled by two of my grandchildren.  The bunny designs are from

I bought the shirts at Hobby Lobby.  It can be difficult to find plain shirts to embroider without ordering them.  Since I run a small business, I don't want to keep a large inventory with many colors, styles and colors.  I am SO grateful that Hobby Lobby came to town.  The only thing that I've noticed about their shirts, at least for the little children, is that they seem to run small.  My 18 month old grandson is only in the 50th percentile for weight and yet the 24 month shirt is snug around his belly. I always pre-wash.  The shirts are 100% cotton so if you buy from Hobby Lobby, go with a bigger size than what you think you will need.




No comments:

Post a Comment