Nan's Nappies

Friday, August 24, 2012

National Waffle Day! Who Knew?!?

Today is National Waffle Day!!!  Who knew that such a day existed???  Andy and I decided it was the perfect excuse to make waffles.  We didn't have time at breakfast so we decided we would have them for dinner.  I have REAL Belgian waffles rising in my refrigerator right now.  Are you one of the many people who think that a Belgian Waffle is one made with BIG holes?  One that is round?  Well you are wrong!  Belgian Waffles contain yeast. 

When I discovered this I started searching the internet for a great Belgian Waffle Recipe.  I found several.  One is called an overnight batter but really any of them can be made the night before, covered tightly and put in the refrigerator until the next morning.  The one I made today does not say it's over night but I've made it the night before several times and made out fine.

Click on the picture above to see this wonderful recipe.  I serve them with warm real maple syrup.  I pour some of my maple syrup into a glass measuring cup and warm it in the microwave.  It's not a pretty syrup container but it works great!  Real maple syrup must be refrigerated and I don't want to pour cold syrup on the waffles.  These waffles are light with a delightfully crispy outside.  I freeze any leftovers and toast them to warm them.  They aren't as good as the freshly made ones but they are still very good. Can't wait for tonight's yummy dinner!



No comments:

Post a Comment