Nan's Nappies

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Fall Designs & Pumpkin Bread

  Fall.  Bleh.  I love the colors and flavors.  I like the decreasing humidity and the slightly cooler temps and the end of yard work.  I do NOT like the feeling of impending doom.  I am not a fan of heavy clothes, coats, shoes, frost, snow, ice etc.  I like shorts and sandals, the beach, no coats, being able to walk outside without freezing and being encumbered by clothes.  

 

To add to that, fall means I have to return to work.  I used to work full time as a school nurse.  Now I've been blessed to do it only as a substitute which means I can make my own schedule.  Since we still need the income, that translates into me working as much as possible.  I'd rather be home cooking and sewing.  Even when I had a year round job and my children were young, I still didn't like fall.  Some parents like sending their children back to school but I liked having mine home and setting my own schedule.

 

I do love fall colors though.  They are so vibrant.  Nan's Nappies has some really cute fall designs that could look adorable on your child's shirt, onesie, burp cloth or blanket.  There are also beautiful designs for towels and adult shirts.  Click on the following links to check out the designs that are shown on Nan's Nappies Shutterfly share page:

School Daze

Back to School

Harvest Happenings

Back to School Critters 

Split Back to School ( names are not included, I can add your child's name in the font you choose)

 

Or what about these cute little designs on a shirt or bag?   You can choose the font or saying to be "written" on the "paper".




The one above is also applique' so the apple & leaves, heart and I will be filled with fabrics of your color choice.

Backpacks are another school necessity and I have added some names to some.  I have around 500 fonts from which to choose so your child's bag can be unique. I have over 100 colors of thread from which to choose also. 

  

   

Some don't want their child's name on the pack but a monogram or unique saying will set their pack apart from the rest.

 

 

 Now, for another thing I love about fall.  Pumpkin.  I love pretty much anything pumpkin.  One of our family favorites is Pumpkin Bread.  I make it all year round.  I teach 4 & 5 year old ( Pre-K & K) Sunday School and take pumpkin bread in as a snack fairly often.  Even the really picky ones will resist it at first, then they ask for seconds and even thirds!  I haven't had even one turn it down yet.  It is so moist and goes really well with some cream cheese or just plain.  Here's my recipe:

 

 Click here to print recipe

Pumpkin Bread

In large bowl mix together the following ingredients then set aside.
4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. salt

In  your large mixer bowl, mix together:
1 large ( 29 oz) can pumpkin ( not pumpkin pie mix but plain)
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
As mixer is going, gradually ass the flour mixture.  Mix till well blended.
Pour into three greased 9" loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 min or until toothpick comes out clean.  After 10 min. dump the loaves onto a cooling rack.  When well cooled, wrap and refrigerate.  I often use heavy duty foil to wrap each loaf and then freeze.  Another way I wrap them is with Glad Press N Seal and then put several loaves inside a gallon size freezer bag.  Even after months in the freezer, you can thaw it and it won't taste like it's been frozen!
I often make mini loaves instead of the big loaves.  I have 6" mini pans and 4". I fill them around 2/3 full.  Both of those only take 40 - 45 min. to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment