Nan's Nappies

Monday, July 6, 2015

Whole30 and Spaghetti Squash

My husband and I are gearing up for Whole30.  I say gearing up because we wanted to get through the 4th of July and finish eating some things in our house that aren't permitted on Whole30.  As those "illegal" items have disappeared, we are using Whole30 items.  Sugar is going to be VERY hard to get rid of.  And bread.  I love both!  But I've started noticing some issues lately that may be related to food allergies.  Whole30 is an elimination diet, not a weight loss diet, although 96 % of people lose weight on it just be eliminating sugar and a lot of unhealthy food from their diet. 

If you read labels, it is VERY difficult to find foods that don't have some amount of sugar added!  All Jimmy Dean sausage has sugar but not all Bob Evans does.  Who knew?  I've never checked a sausage package for sugar before!

I LOVE my creamy sweetened coffee in the morning but have given up the sweetener and creamer.  I can use unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk in my coffee.  I'm sipping it right now.  I miss the sugar but it isn't bad.

We both like spaghetti squash and I made a version of  spaghetti without sugar and with spaghetti squash " noodles" this weekend.  It was yummy.  There is no diary on Whole30 but I didn't miss the parmesan.  The worst thing about spaghetti squash is getting the darn things open!!!  I decided to experiment and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes.  It really helped!!!  The skin was much easier to cut through.  I then proceeded to roast it in the oven with a little olive oil.

So that is my big tip of the day....microwave your spaghetti squash a bit before attempting to cut it!

No comments:

Post a Comment